Friday, April 20, 2012

MAKE A CHAIR PLANTER

I don't know about you folks, but one of MY favorite places to shop is The Home Depot.  Annnnd, favorite department?  Well, paint, of course.  And, a little secret for ya.  Always ask if they have any OOPS paint.  Okay, my secret is out.  So, stay away from MY local Home Depot.  All their oops paints get checked out by ME first.


My most recent oops purchase was a gallon of Behr (which is GREAT paint) in a sooo pretty shade of green.  Since it is oops, they don't mark it with a name or mixture, so I'm callin it Cottage Green.  And, just guess what it cost???  Only $7.00/gallon.  So that makes it eeeeven prettier.  


Oh, and before I show you my pics, let me give you ANOTHER tip.  Don't leave your camera OUT IN THE RAIN.  Is there a pattern starting to develop here?  Check out this project that was also LEFT OUT IN THE RAIN.  I salvaged that project, but I'm not so sure about my camera.  This is why people like me can't have expensive toys.  I've washed one phone with a load of clothes and dropped yet another in, yes, the toilet!!!  And, now, I leave my camera out to be rained on??  


Sooo, all that to say, my pics are not the best in the world.  But, after the camera sets in the rice bowl for another few days, maybe pics will improve.  8-)  And, that really does work.  At least it did for one of the phones.  I took it apart and then put all the parts down into a bowl of rice......left it for several days, and IT WORKED.


For directions on painting this sweet little chair/flower pot............




This is how it looked BEFORE


The only prep work the chair needed was a little brushing off............it was NASTY.
Then, just brush the paint on.  The Behr paint is soooo thick, it only needed ONE coat.  Can you believe it?




After the paint has dried for a couple hours, I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain.  All you do is brush it on, and wipe it off..........leaving some of the stain in the detail (those little cracks and crevices).


FINISHED


The stain usually takes one to two days to dry completely, depending upon the humidity.  Now, just add a flower pot, or maybe staple landscape cloth, chicken wire, burlap or plastic mesh into the bottom to make the chair into a planter.  Add plants, and WA LA. .........gorgeous planter.


Of course I just added this artificial ivy for the photo, but I can just see bright cheery petunias trailing over the side or maybe a fern.  Your choice.


So, what cha think?  I'd like to keep this one for myself, but off to the shop she went.

Here are some links to other chair turned planter projects:







Ya'll come back soon.  8-)




Linking to these parties:







 

35 comments:

  1. I love your little chair planter! I am in the process of making one myself right now--seems there is a whole bunch of them right now in blogland. Love yours! Looks cute with the little ceramic kitty on it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize there were so many out there until AFTER I did this one....then did a search. I want one for ME. Thanks, Sandy.

      Delete
  2. Perfect chair for a planter! Lot's of personality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candy: Very sweet and thanks for the oops tip. That green is really a pretty color..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful chair ~ Love the color too!!!

    Prim Blessings
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to make a chair planter, you have now brought it to the front of my brain, I'm on the look for a broken cain chair. Yep, I washed my phone with my clothes too. A little rice and it worked fine the next day!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so glad to know Im not the only one who does things like that. 8-)

      Delete
  6. The chair is so cute! I've had an old chair that I use for a planter, but it's seen better days and now I need another. I found one at Habitat, but they want $12 for it. Too much for something that will sit outside.

    If it's any consolation-Yes, I've left my old camera out in the pouring down rain, it survived-mostly. I've also dropped my cell phone in the toilet, luckily before it was contaminated... it survived, but with limited battery life after that. I always say I can't have anything nice because I'm such a klutz or getting too absent minded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, you sound too much like ME. Nice to know there are others out there that do the same silly things. I guess the old saying is true?? Misery loves company?? Thanks for stopping in and please come back to visit my blog again. 8-)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your comment and for your Linky. I am your newest follower. Love that green color on that planter chair.
    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Donna. !!! COME BACK TO SEE ME. 8-)

      Delete
  8. love your site!!! you keep on making pretty stuff and we'll keep on buying it!! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I just realized who this is!!!! Thanks Pam. Left you a note on FACEBOOK. If you need a bit of the pink for color matching, just let me know.....there was no color.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for following back, Donna !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! Now I need to find an old chair! I came here from Funky Junk Interiors and realized that you are also a Tennessean. I live a couple of hours NE of you in Murfreesboro. Good luck on your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, hey neighbor. I've been there many times.......such a pretty college town. I love your blog and I'll be back often to see what you're up to. Come see me if you make it down this way. My shop is on 64 Highway, Candy's Memories. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Candy, thank you so much for visiting my blog and your lovely comment on my Spring post. I have just added myself as your latest follower both Linky and google. Hope to visit again and hope that you can stop by me also.

    I am definitely going to spend a bit more time later checking out your blog, your shop, gosh you are a busy lady, I hope you had a chance to look at my art, I paint really large canvases of flowers.

    Lee ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee Caroline........I didn't go back and see your art, so Im goin there right now. Thanks for stopping by and I do hope you come back to visit. 8-)

      Delete
  13. Featured you tOday! Come by to see and grab a button from my sidebar while you are there! Thanks for linking up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank YOU, Stacey. And, I'll be right over. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Candy! Thanks for coming over to visit my blog. This chair is so darn cute. Hey, every time I take my nice camera outside to take blog photos I keep repeating my myself "Don't leave the camera outside...don't leave....." So far it has not happened but it would be so "me" to accidentally do that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Candy,

    Thanks for the invite. I love what you've done with this chair. Good luck with the camera too. Sounds like my husband who went in the lake with his phone in his pocket, then the new one got dropped in the toilet too. hehe

    I would love for you to share any of your projects at my Creative Thursday Link Party (starts tonight at 9).
    Have a great week,
    Michelle

    P.S. I'm following :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again, Michelle. And, tell your husband, he makes me feel better. 8-)
      Gonna go check out your linky now. Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  17. Shhhhh....your secret is safe with me :-) I also check out the oops paint. I love how your chair turned out. The color is vintage perfect for a garden planter! I need to find me a cute chair like yours:-) thank you for linking it up at my new party! I hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. No, THANK YOU, Kathe, for hosting. Looks like it was a success. CONGRATS. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Then along came the spider receiving targeted and more as clear as mud,
    since the spammers found new ways in which to get past the ranking system plus no time
    acquire sites for the top. If you intend to have a higher ranking then ensure that the information
    on your website is very accurate and highly substantiated.
    After all the Page - Ranks are calculated they might be added back in without affecting things significantly.
    Also visit my web page : GSA SER

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a great old chair. Always fun to get a deal on paint -- or anything! Stopping by from Angie's Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for linking wonderful post up to my “Themed Blog & Shop Hop!”
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just writing to let you know that you are featured on my blog because you received the most "likes" from last month's Blog & Shop Hop - godsgrowinggarden.com
    Thanks
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angelique.......thanks so ver much for the feature. I will gladly put your link on my page. THANKS AGAIN.

      Delete

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!