Wednesday, June 20, 2012

CHALK PAINT PROJECT - AFTER

Finally.  Here's the AFTER.  If you didn't catch the BEFORE, click HERE to see how this neat old primitive piece looked before I took the paint brush to it.
 

 I just painted with my favorite turquoise homemade CHALK paint mixture.  Directions for making your own chalk paint are found HERE.  After a couple coats of the mixture had thoroughly dried, I gave it a really good distressing.


Then, antiqued with Minwax Dark Walnut.  Just brush it on, then wipe it back off, leaving the stain in the cracks and crevices.  I'm starting to love it.  


On the top, I just gave it a really good sanding.  It is scratched, gouged, sanded cross grain..........well, you get the point.  It looks it's age.  But, I like that.  We'll just call it PRIMITIVE.  After sanding it, I used the same Minwax Dark Walnut stain to bring back the richness of the wood.


I found this handle..........which I'm really not totally pleased with, but it'll do until I can find another that might better suit the piece.


But, that's 'all she wrote', as the saying goes here in the South.  I love the way it turned out. 

What cha think???

And, as you know, I always have to multi task, so I'll post pics of the washstand that I also did while working on this piece.  I like it eeeeven more.  I am starting to want a room filled with TURQUOISE furniture !!!!


I'm joining these parties:
http://prettyshabbyuk.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/
http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/
http://www.theshabbycreekcottage.com/2012/06/transformation-thursday-no-157.html
http://www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com/
http://lovingthiscrazylife-melissa.blogspot.com/2012/06/its-piece-o-cake-linky-party-12.html
http://debbie-debbiedoos.com/2012/06/been-awhile-since-i-have-mod-podged.html
http://classyclutter.blogspot.com/2012/06/spotlight-saturday-19.html
http://madeinaday.com/2012/07/12/made-u-look-linky-32/
http://onecreativemommy.com/one-creative-weekend-linky-party-2/#comment-208

39 comments:

  1. That turned out super cute! I'm so in to the blue right now. Love it. Hey thanks for the links for making your own chalk paint. I can't wait to try it.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy. You'll love the chalk paint. It works on almost anything. 8-)

      Delete
  2. That turned out great! I love the color!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks so much. I like the color too. 8-)

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful piece! Love the color that you chose. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Candy: I love that chalk paint. Looks great..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for linking to Waste Not Want Not Wednesday at http://prettyshabbyuk.blogspot.co.uk

    I love this i think that the wooden top works so well with the painted base.

    you are so talented

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, and thanks for your visit.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous color Candy! I still have to figure out (online) how to make my own chalk paint, the result is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, thank you. Just use the recipe I have used. 1 part Plaster of Paris, 1 part water and 3 parts part. Dissolve the plaster into the water, then add the paint. GOOD LUCK. !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you from Pretty Shabby UK. Your furniture turned out great! Thank you for sharing the "recipes" - I'm definitely inspired to try my own chalk paint project!

    Hugs,
    Nif

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nif. Do try the paint.....you'll love it.
      And, please come back to visit soon. 8-)

      Delete
  9. Absolutely beautiful! I love the color you choose, too. So happy I found your link on Debbiedoo's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela........thank YOU so much. I've just been over to take a look at your blog. Loved the flag porject and Im now following. I'll be there often to see what else you're up too.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful color Candy. Thanks so much for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie.........and thanks for hosting the party. I've only got one more month til I graduate and can't take part. But, I'll still have to come check out all the other newbies. 8-)

      Delete
  11. This blue is so pretty! I love that you're able to see the diamond in the rough to give old pieces new life--such a talent! Also, I kind of love that idea of making my own chalk paint some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. I do love to make old things look new again.......well, shabby but a new life. Thanks for the sweet comment and come back soon.

      Delete
  12. I love the color! Very pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Love that shot of color - so nice! Visting from Debbie-doos. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane.............Im coming over to check your blog out now. 8-)

      Delete
  14. Lovin that color, great job Candy.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Candy, This turned out beautiful! I love the turquoise color. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is gorgeous, Candy! I just love everything about this piece. Great color and I love the stop. Such a nice size and shape. I like the hardware, too. Fantastic piece!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That should say I love the top, not the "stop". : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did an amazing job on this piece! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such great comments. Enjoy your weekend. kathy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I love the color! I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!