Friday, October 12, 2012

DRIED HYDRANGEA WREATH


A few days back, I went out and cut my hydrangea and put it all in water to dry.  I've been told this is the best way.  Just wait til it starts to turn colors in the late summer.  Then, cut it and put it into water and it'll dry out naturally.  I literally had hydrangea bouquets sitting all over the house.
Then I happened across this post by Donna at Funky Junk, sooooo, it got me in the mood to make wreaths.
Mine aren't nearly as pretty as hers.  I think maybe I waited just a little too long to cut mine.  But, hey, I still think that turned out pretty good.


First I gathered my tools.  A wreath, a pair of pruners, scissors, twine or raffia comes in handy too.  I used raffia to make a loop to hang the wreath by and also tied on a few loops just to add some color.


Start by snipping the stems from the hydrangea to a shorter length which is easier to work with.  First
I thought I'd just stick the stems in.  Then I decided my wreaths would be less likely to fall apart if I used a glue gun.
HINT:  Have a little cup of water handy if you do use a hot glue gun, since it is rare that you don't stick your finger in that drippy, hot, hot stuff.  The hurt stops hurting much faster if you can stick the poor finger involved into cold water.


And, here's my first.  I love it.


Same wreath with more lighting.  I think the first is probably truer in color.


Well, I did have all the mess out already, so had to do at least two.  And, since there are still bouquets all over the house, I'll be making several more.....well, just as soon as my fingers heal.

Thanks for stopping by.  All ya'll come back soon.


Sharing with these LINKIES:





16 comments:

  1. Candy, your wreath is stunning! I love it! Dried Hydrangeas are a favorite of mine! What a fun and inspiring blog you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, you made my day. Thanks so much for your sweet comments.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE WREATH. HYDRANGEAS ARE MY FAVORITE, MY MOM ACTUALLY HAS A HYDRANGEA BUSH AND THIS GAVE ME AN IDEA TO GIVE HER A CALL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, call Mom and go over and cut those hydrangeas!! 8-)

      Delete
  3. I think your wreaths are beautiful! I love the all natural look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to plant some hydrangeas. I love the dried bouquets and wreaths. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're so pretty! And isn't it just counterintuitive to put something in water to dry it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Candy your wreath is beautiful! have you heard about drying hydrangeas in one part glycerine/two parts water?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Hetty. Do you put the flowers IN the water......as in any bouquet?

      Delete
  7. Love your wreath! Thanks for the follow! I'm now your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! You did such a great job! Thanks for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Candy,
    This wreath is beautiful! I love hydrangea. So wish I didn't have a terrible time growing green things, lol! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy,
    Your wreath is gorgeous. Funky Junk would be proud! I didn't know that about the water and them drying out naturally. Hydrangeas don't do well here, (sigh). I do have a Limelight tree with cone shaped white blooms. I let them dry on the tree and then pick them to stuff amongst the branches of my Christmas tree. I noticed yesterday that they are all brown and ready to be picked. Thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I do read and appreciate EVERY comment. I try to reply to all, but sometimes might miss seeing one. Please visit often. THANKS!!!